To create scarves for the trees approx 1 metre long by 25cm wide in bright colours. If you would like to include butterflies in the design of your scarf by knitting, crochet, applique, this would be great so that we can have flights, flutters and rabbles of butterflies flitting through the installation too.
If you would just like to make butterflies these will be appliqued to scarves too.
Before the pandemic a group joined me to experiment with making large butterflies on frames of garden mesh that could then be easily and safely fixed to the walls leading into the Village Centre, and some have already been completed. Thank you for your efforts, but we can always include more in the design.
Last year we planned for our diplomatic partner to be the High Commission for Singapore and already red and white scarves have been delivered by keen knitters. If you would like to make some red and white scarves that would contribute to how we do the design of the installation too.
All scarves and small butterflies can be delivered to the Information Desk in the Village Centre of the National Arboretum Canberra or sent to the Friends of the National Arboretum Canberra, PO Box 48, Campbell ACT 2612.
Please contact me by email or phone (see below) to organise separately the deliveries of the large butterflies.
Plan for the installation:
- March - E-mail seeking help with creating knitting, crochet and so on (this is it!)
- March - E-mail seeking large butterflies to place on the walls leading into the Village Centre.
- 5 May and 11 May - Butterfly workshops
- 5 June - Knitters morning tea in the Terrace Room
- 15 June - All contributions to be delivered to the Arboretum
- 21 June - Commence installation
- 2 July - Launch
- 2 August - Commence removal
- August/September - Donate scarves and rugs made from scarves to charities.
Please contact me (email or phone) if you have any questions.
Sincerely wishing you all well
Convener Warm Trees
Friends of the National Arboretum Canberra
mob: 0407 176 163